- •What is the primary question addressed by this study?
- •Do the significant correlates of Purpose-in-Life (PiL) differ between White and Black populations within the United States?
- •What is the main finding of this study?
- •In independent analyses using machine learning approach, 12 of 34 different sociodemographic and psychosocial factors were associated with PiL in both Black and White participants.
- •What is the meaning of the finding?
- •These findings suggest that hopelessness, perceived constraint on personal control, self-mastery, positive affect, and optimism, among others, are critical determinants PiL for both Black and White individuals.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Eudaimonic Well-Being.in: Michalos AC Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research. Springer, Netherlands2014: 2004-2005
- Purpose in life predicts better emotional recovery from negative stimuli.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e80329https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0080329
- Depression, self-derogation, substance use, and suicide ideation: lack of purpose in life as a mediational factor.J Clin Psychol. Jan 1986; 42: 5-21https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(198601)42:1<5::aid-jclp2270420102>3.0.co;2-9
- How Do Meaning in Life and Positive Affect Relate to Adaptation to Stress? The Case of Firefighters Following the Mount Carmel Forest Fire.Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci. 2015; 52: 68-70
- Effect of a purpose in life on risk of incident Alzheimer disease and mild cognitive impairment in community-dwelling older persons.Arch Gen Psychiatry. Mar 2010; 67: 304-310https://doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2009.208
- Purpose in life and reduced risk of myocardial infarction among older U.S. adults with coronary heart disease: a two-year follow-up.J Behav Med. Apr 2013; 36: 124-133https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-012-9406-4
- Purpose in life is a robust protective factor of reported cognitive decline among late middle-aged adults: The Emory Healthy Aging Study.J Affect Disord. Feb 15 2020; 263: 310-317https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2019.11.124
- Associations Between Purpose in Life and Mortality by SES.Am J Prev Med. Aug 2021; 61: e53-e61https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2021.02.011
- The contribution of purpose in life to psychological morbidity and quality of life in chronic pain patients.Psychol Health Med. Feb 2020; 25: 160-170https://doi.org/10.1080/13548506.2019.1665189
- Quality of life among older people with a disability: the role of purpose in life and capabilities.Disabil Rehabil. Jan 2021; 43: 181-191https://doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2019.1620875
- Antecedents of Purpose in Life: Evidence from A Lagged Exposure-Wide Analysis.Cogent Psychol. 2020; 71825043https://doi.org/10.1080/23311908.2020.1825043
- Important Correlates of Purpose in Life Identified Through a Machine Learning Approach.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. May 2021; 29: 488-498https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2020.09.018
- Purpose in Life Protects Against Cognitive Decline Among Older Adults.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. Jun 2019; 27: 593-601https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2019.01.010
- Maintaining sense of purpose in midlife predicts better physical health.J Psychosom Res. Jun 2021; 145110485https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2021.110485
- Perceived discrimination and mental health among older African Americans: the role of psychological well-being.Aging Ment Health. Apr 2019; 23: 461-469https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2017.1423034
- Does purpose in life or ethnic identity moderate the association for racial discrimination and suicide ideation in racial/ethnic minority emerging adults?.Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology. 2018; (No Pagination Specified-No Pagination Specified)https://doi.org/10.1037/cdp0000245
- Status Inequalities, Perceived Discrimination, and Eudaimonic Well-Being: Do the Challenges of Minority Life Hone Purpose and Growth?.Journal of Health and Social Behavior. 2003; 44: 275-291https://doi.org/10.2307/1519779
- Data from: Health and Retirement Study, genome-wide genotyping public use dataset.Ann Arbor, Michigan. 2019;
Jacqui S, Lindsay HR, Gwenith GF, Amanda S, David RW. HRS Psychosocial and Lifestyle Questionnaire 2006-2016. 2017.
- The structure of psychological well-being revisited.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1995; 69: 719-727https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2069
- Optimizing well-being: The empirical encounter of two traditions.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 2002; 82: 1007-1022https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.117
- Distinguishing optimism from neuroticism (and trait anxiety, self-mastery, and self-esteem): a reevaluation of the Life Orientation Test.J Pers Soc Psychol. Dec 1994; 67: 1063-1078https://doi.org/10.1037//0022-3518.104.22.1683
- Cook-Medley Hostility Scale.in: Gellman MD Turner JR Encyclopedia of Behavioral Medicine. Springer, New York2013: 495 (-495)
- Hopelessness and 4-year progression of carotid atherosclerosis. The Kuopio Ischemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. Aug 1997; 17: 1490-1495https://doi.org/10.1161/01.atv.17.8.1490
- The measurement of pessimism: the hopelessness scale.J Consult Clin Psychol. Dec 1974; 42: 861-865https://doi.org/10.1037/h0037562
- UCLA Loneliness Scale (Version 3): reliability, validity, and factor structure.J Pers Assess. Feb 1996; 66: 20-40https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa6601_2
- How can I connect with thee? Let me count the ways.Psychol Sci. Oct 2005; 16: 798-804https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.2005.01617.x
- An inventory for measuring clinical anxiety: psychometric properties.J Consult Clin Psychol. Dec 1988; 56: 893-897https://doi.org/10.1037//0022-006x.56.6.893
- Psychometric evaluation of the Beck Anxiety Inventory with older medical patients.Psychological Assessment. 1997; 9: 136-144https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-3522.214.171.124
- Factor structure of the State-Trait Anger Expression Inventory for middle-aged men and women.Assessment. 1998; 5: 141-155https://doi.org/10.1177/107319119800500205
- Neighborhood-level cohesion and disorder: measurement and validation in two older adult urban populations.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. May 2009; 64: 415-424https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbn041
Idler EL, Musick MA, Ellison CG, et al. Multidimensional Measurement of Religiousness/Spirituality for Use in Health Research. 1999:103. 7/01/2022.
- Racial Differences in Physical and Mental Health: Socio-economic Status, Stress and Discrimination.J Health Psychol. Jul 1997; 2: 335-351https://doi.org/10.1177/135910539700200305
- The pattern of human concerns.Rutgers University Press, 1966
- The sense of control as a moderator of social class differences in health and well-being.J Pers Soc Psychol. Mar 1998; 74: 763-773https://doi.org/10.1037//0022-35126.96.36.1993
- The Structure of Coping.Journal of Health and Social Behavior. 1978; 19: 2-21https://doi.org/10.2307/2136319
Lachman ME, Weaver SL. Sociodemographic variations in the sense of control by domain: findings from the MacArthur studies of midlife. Psychol Aging. Dec 1998;13(4):553-62. doi:10.1037//0882-79188.8.131.523
- The effect of age on positive and negative affect: A developmental perspective on happiness.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1998; 75: 1333-1349https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
Watson D, Clark LA. The PANAS-X: Manual for the positive and negative affect schedule-expanded form. 1994.
Campbell A, Converse PE, Rodgers WL. The quality of American life: Perceptions, evaluations, and satisfactions. The quality of American life: Perceptions, evaluations, and satisfactions. Russell Sage Foundation; 1976:xi, 583-xi, 583.
- The stress process.Journal of Health and Social Behavior. 1981; 22: 337-356https://doi.org/10.2307/2136676
- Chronic stress burden, discrimination, and subclinical carotid artery disease in African American and Caucasian women.Health Psychol. May 2003; 22: 300-309https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6220.127.116.110
- Coping with COVID-19: Differences in hope, resilience, and mental well-being across U.S. racial groups.PLoS One. 2022; 17e0267583https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0267583
- The Black-White paradox in health: flourishing in the face of social inequality and discrimination.J Pers. Dec 2009; 77: 1677-1706https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.2009.00597.x
- Positive Psychology in Times of Pandemic-Time Perspective as a Moderator of the Relationship between Resilience and Meaning in Life.Int J Environ Res Public Health. Dec 18 2021; 18https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph182413340
- Determinants of a Sense of Mastery in African American and White Older Adults.The Journals of Gerontology: Series B. 2003; 58: S221-S224https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/58.4.S221
- Purpose in life is associated with a reduced risk of incident disability among community-dwelling older persons.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. Dec 2010; 18: 1093-1102https://doi.org/10.1097/JGP.0b013e3181d6c259