- •What is the primary question addressed by this study? — The question addressed by the study must be limited to only one sentence.
→Can the bispectral EEG (BSEEG) method predict patient mortality regardless of age, delirium motor subtype, and device type?
- •What is the main finding of this study? — The finding must be limited to two sentences.
→The BSEEG score measured early in the hospitalization was shown to be capable of capturing high mortality risk among patients.
- •What is the meaning of the finding? —The meaning of the finding must be limited to one sentence.
→The BSEEG method has a potential to be useful in identifying patients at high risk for poor outcomes with the objective scoring by a simple, easy to use, point-of-care device.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Delirium in older persons.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 1157-1165
- Delirium in elderly adults: diagnosis, prevention and treatment.Nat Rev Neurol. 2009; 5: 210-220
- Delirium in elderly people.Lancet. 2014; 383: 911-922
- Current opinions regarding the importance, diagnosis, and management of delirium in the intensive care unit: a survey of 912 healthcare professionals.Crit Care Med. 2004; 32: 106-112
- One-year health care costs associated with delirium in the elderly population.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 27-32
- Occurrence of delirium is severely underestimated in the ICU during daily care.Intensive Care Med. 2009; 35: 1276-1280
- Cognitive impairment in the intensive care unit.Clin Chest Med. 2003; 24: 727-737
- Delirium predicts 12-month mortality.Arch Intern Med. 2002; 162: 457-463
- Incidence, risk factors and consequences of ICU delirium.Intensive Care Med. 2007; 33: 66-73
- Delirium in older emergency department patients discharged home: effect on survival.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 443-450
- Long-term cognitive impairment after critical illness.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1306-1316
- Delirium accelerates cognitive decline in Alzheimer disease.Neurology. 2009; 72: 1570-1575
- Challenges and opportunities in understanding dementia and delirium in the acute hospital.PLoS Med. 2017; 14e1002247
- Clarifying confusion: the confusion assessment method. A new method for detection of delirium.Ann Intern Med. 1990; 113: 941-948
- Delirium in mechanically ventilated patients: validity and reliability of the confusion assessment method for the intensive care unit (CAM-ICU).JAMA. 2001; 286: 2703-2710
- Evaluation of delirium in critically ill patients: validation of the Confusion Assessment Method for the Intensive Care Unit (CAM-ICU).Crit Care Med. 2001; 29: 1370-1379
- Validation of the Delirium Rating Scale-revised-98: comparison with the delirium rating scale and the cognitive test for delirium.J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2001; 13: 229-242
- Routine use of the confusion assessment method for the intensive care unit: a multicenter study.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011; 184: 340-344
- Sensitivity and specificity of the Confusion Assessment Method for the Intensive Care Unit (CAM-ICU) and the Intensive Care Delirium Screening Checklist (ICDSC) for detecting post-cardiac surgery delirium: a single-center study in Japan.Heart Lung. 2016; 45: 15-20
- Delirium detection using EEG: what and how to measure.Chest. 2015; 147: 94-101
- Delirium detection by a novel bispectral electroencephalography device in general hospital.Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2018; 72: 856-863
- Evaluation of point-of-care thumb-size bispectral electroencephalography device to quantify delirium severity and predict mortality.Br J Psychiatry. 2021; 220: 322-329
- Clinical EEG slowing correlates with delirium severity and predicts poor clinical outcomes.Neurology. 2019; 93: e1260-e1271
- Identification of patients with high mortality risk and prediction of outcomes in delirium by bispectral EEG.J Clin Psychiatry. 2019; 80: e1-e8
- Mortality prediction by bispectral electroencephalography among 502 patients: its role in dementia.Brain Commun. 2021; 3fcab037
- Increased mortality in patients with standard EEG findings of 'diffuse slowing'.Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2021; 33: 93-100
- The Delirium Observation Screening Scale: a screening instrument for delirium.Res Theory Nurs Pract. 2003; 17: 31-50
- The Montreal Cognitive Assessment, MoCA: a brief screening tool for mild cognitive impairment.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 695-699
- Investigation of the freely available easy-to-use software 'EZR' for medical statistics.Bone Marrow Transplant. 2013; 48: 452-458
- Validation of a combined comorbidity index.J Clin Epidemiol. 1994; 47: 1245-1251
- Topological data analysis (TDA) enhances bispectral EEG (BSEEG) algorithm for detection of delirium.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 304
- The dilemma of delirium: clinical and research controversies regarding diagnosis and evaluation of delirium in hospitalized elderly medical patients.Am J Med. 1994; 97: 278-288
- Intensive care unit delirium: a review of diagnosis, prevention, and treatment.Anesthesiology. 2016; 125: 1229-1241
- Prevalence, management and outcomes of unrecognized delirium in a National Sample of 1,493 older emergency department patients: how many were sent home and what happened to them?.Age Ageing. 2022; 51afab214
- Acute confusional state/delirium: an etiological and prognostic evaluation.Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2014; 17: 30-34
- A new data-based motor subtype schema for delirium.J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2008; 20: 185-193
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Article Summary: Bispectral EEG (BSEEG) measurement can be conducted easily at the bedside, which can be predictive of outcomes including mortality among the hospitalized patients with delirium. Predicting outcomes based on the BSEEG score obtained early during the hospitalization can provide the opportunity to identify high risk patients for prompt intervention, potentially improving patient outcomes and reducing healthcare costs.