- •What is the primary question addressed by this study?This study examined the population-based prevalence and correlates of prolonged grief disorder (PGD) in U.S. veterans.
- •What is the main finding of this study?In this nationally representative study of 2,441 veterans, 158 (weighted 7.3%) screened positive for PGD. Adverse childhood experiences, female sex, non-natural causes of death, knowing someone who died from coronavirus disease 2019, and number of losses were strongly associated with PGD. Veterans with PGD were significantly more likely to screen positive for posttraumatic stress, major depressive, and generalized anxiety disorders; endorse suicidal thoughts and attempts; and utilize mental health treatment.
- •What is the meaning of the finding?PGD is prevalent in veterans, and associated with increased psychiatric burden and suicide risk.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders.Text Revision (DSM-5-TR). Fifth Edition. American Psychiatric Association Publishing, Washington D.C2022
- Prevalence, correlates, and treatment of suicidal behavior in U.S. military veterans: results from the 2019-2020 National Health and Resilience in Veterans Study.J Clin Psychiatry. 2021; 82: 20m13714
Shear MK, Essock S: Brief Grief Questionnaire. 2018. (online). Available at: https://www.va.gov/WHOLEHEALTHLIBRARY/docs/Brief-Grief-Questionnaire-2018.pdf. Accessed July 20, 2022.
- An ultra-brief screening scale for anxiety and depression: the PHQ-4.Psychosomatics. 2009; 50: 613-621
Weathers F, Blake DD, Schnurr PP, et al: The Life Events Checklist for DSM-5 (LEC-5). Instrument available from the National Center for PTSD. 2013. (online). Available at: https://www.ptsd.va.gov. Accessed July 13, 2022.
- The Suicidal Behaviors Questionnaire Revised (SBQ-R): validation with clinical and nonclinical samples.Assessment. 2001; 8: 443-454
- Determining the relative importance of predictors in logistic regression: an extension of relative weights analysis.Organ Res Methods. 2010; 13: 767-781
- Linking adverse childhood effects and attachment: a theory of etiology for sexual offending.Trauma Violence Abuse. 2017; 18: 433-444
- The influence of emotional neglect on development.Paediatr Child Health. 2008; 18: 527-534
Shear MK, Reynolds CF, Simon NM, et al: Prolonged grief disorder in adults: epidemiology, clinical features, assessment, and diagnosis. UpToDate. Available at: https://www.medilib.ir/uptodate/show/91887#rid4. 2022. Accessed November 9, 2022.
- Prolonged grief as a distinct disorder, specifically affecting female health.Arch Womens Ment Health. 2010; 13: 27-28
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of correlates of prolonged grief disorder in adults exposed to violent loss.Eur J Psychotraumatol. 2019; 101583524
- Complicated grief.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 153-160