- •What is the primary question addressed by this study? This program evaluation aimed to characterize patients served and referring provider perceptions of a cross-facility tele-geriatric psychiatry consultation program.
- •What is the main finding of this study?— This approach is feasible, acceptable, and highly valued by referring providers. The program served older Veterans with complex psychiatric and cognitive needs across multiple care settings including outpatient and rehabilitation/long-term care.
- •What is the meaning of the finding?—Geriatric psychiatry consultation delivered to multiple VA medical systems via telehealth may increase access to this specialty in rural areas.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics. Veteran Population. February 21, 2022. Available at https://www.va.gov/vetdata/veteran_population.asp.
- Mental Health Needs of Aging Veterans: Recent Evidence and Clinical Recommendations.Clin Gerontol. 2022; 45: 252-271
- Strengthening psychology's workforce for older adults: Implications of the Institute of Medicine's report to Congress.Am Psychol. 2015; 70: 265-278
- Workforce analysis of psychological practice with older adults: Growing crisis requires urgent action.Train Educ Prof Psychol. 2019; 13: 46-55
- Subspecialty Training and Certification in Geriatric Psychiatry: A 25-Year Overview.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2017; 25: 445-453
- Applying the interprofessional patient aligned care team in the Department of Veterans Affairs: Transforming primary care.Am Psychol. 2014; 69: 399-408
- National Integration of Mental Health Providers in VA Home-Based Primary Care: An Innovative Model for Mental Health Care Delivery With Older Adults.The Gerontologist. 2014; 54 (Edited by Meeks S): 868-879
- A Survey of Geriatric Psychiatry Fellows and Program Directors: Specialty Choice.Program Choice, and Program Quality Acad Psychiatry. 2022; 46: 455-459
- The Mental Health and Substance Use Workforce for Older Adults: In Whose Hands?.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2012 (Available at)
Cowper Ripley D, Ahern J, Litt E, Rural Veterans Health Care Atlas, 2nd edition FY2015. Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, D.C.
- Supporting older military veterans in the rural US.Qual Ageing Older Adults. 2018; 19: 286-297
- Utilization of Mental Health Services by Veterans Living in Rural Areas: Mental Health Service Use by Rural Veterans.J Rural Health. 2017; 33: 297-304
- Geriatric Telepsychiatry: Systematic Review and Policy Considerations.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019; 27: 109-127
- Patient Satisfaction With Geriatric Psychiatry Services via Video Teleconference.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2020; 28: 491-494
Nkodo J-A, Gana W, Debacq C, The Role of Telemedicine in the Management of the Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia: A Systematic Review Am J Geriatr Psychiatry February 2022:S1064748122000276.
- Anywhere to Anywhere: Use of Telehealth to Increase Health Care Access for Older, Rural Veterans.Public Policy Aging Rep. 2020; 30 (Edited by Kaskie B): 12-18
- Bridging the Gap: Geriatric Telepsychiatry Consultations to a Rural PACE Program.J Technol Behav Sci. 2017; 2: 77-83
- Impact of Project ECHO Models of Medical Tele-Education: a.Systematic Review J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 34: 2842-2857
Guzman-Clark J, Harrell K, Leff A, Implementation of an ECHO-Based Program to Provide Geriatric Specialty Care Consultation and Education to Remote Primary Care Teams Fed Pract 2016; 33:40-45.
Creswell JW, Plano Clark VL: Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research, (3rd edition). Los Angeles, CA, Sage Publishing 2018.
USDA ERS - Rural-Urban Commuting Area Codes, Available at https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/rural-urban-commuting-area-codes/. Accessed August 17, 2022.
Fihn S: Care Assessment Need (CAN) Score and the Patient Care Assessment System (PCAS): Tools for Care Management:66.
Burningham Z, Leng J, Peters CB, Predicting Psychiatric Hospitalizations among Elderly Veterans with a History of Mental Health Disease EGEMs Gener Evid Methods Improve Patient Outcomes 2018; 6:7.
Clinical Classifications Software Refined (CCSR), Available at https://hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/ccsr/ccs_refined.jsp. Accessed May 17, 2022.
- Content analysis and thematic analysis: Implications for conducting a qualitative descriptive study: Qualitative descriptive study.Nurs Health Sci. 2013; 15: 398-405
- Applied thematic analysis.Sage Publications, Los Angeles, CA2012
- Theme development in qualitative content analysis and thematic analysis.J Nurs Educ Pract. 2016; 6: p100
- A Literature Review Comparing Clinicians’ Approaches and Skills to In-Person, Synchronous, and Asynchronous Care: Moving Toward Competencies to Ensure Quality Care.Telemed E-Health. 2021; 27: 356-373
- Perspectives of VA Primary Care Clinicians Toward Electronic Consultation-Related Workload Burden: A Qualitative Analysis.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2018104