- •What is the primary question addressed by this study?
This case details how to identify, manage and treat phenibut withdrawals and dependence in older-age adults.
- •What is the main finding of this study?
Phenibut is an easily obtainable CNS depressant that can result in serious adverse events such as developing tolerance, withdrawals, addiction, anxiety, psychosis, coma, and even death have been reported with its use. Elderly patients with pre-existing substance use disorders may be particularly at risk of phenibut dependence and adverse events.
- •What is the meaning of the finding?
Geriatric psychiatrists and geriatricians should be prepared to ask and educate their patients about phenibut use and its risks.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Restoration of GABAA receptor function after benzodiazepine use: a meta-analysis.J Stem Cell Res. 2020; 1: 1-19https://doi.org/10.52793/jscr.2020.1(1)-05
- Phenibut (β-Phenyl-γ-Aminobutyric Acid): an easily obtainable “Dietary Supplement” with propensities for physical dependence and addiction.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2019; 21https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-019-1009-0
- Phenibut (β-phenyl-GABA): a tranquilizer and nootropic drug.CNS Drug Rev. 2001; 7: 471-481https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1527-3458.2001.tb00211.x
- Notes from the field: phenibut exposures reported to poison centers - United States, 2009-2019.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69: 1227-1228https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6935a5
Therapeutic Good Aministration: 2.3 Phenibut- Scheduling medicines and poisons [Australian Government, Department of Health and Aged Care, Therapeutic Good Adminstration]. September 15, 2017. Available at: https://www.tga.gov.au/resources/publication/scheduling-decisions-interim/scheduling-delegates-interim-decisions-and-invitation-further-comment-accsacms-march-and-july-2017/23-phenibut. Accessed May 31, 2022.
- Phenibut, a GABAB agonist, detected in a fatality.J Anal Toxicol. 2021; 46: e73-e77https://doi.org/10.1093/jat/bkab099
- Phenibut exposures and clinical effects reported to a regional poison center.Am J Emerg Med. 2019; 37: 2066-2071https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2019.02.044
- Safety and tolerability of the anxiolytic and nootropic drug phenibut: a systematic review of clinical trials and case reports.Pharmacopsychiatry. 2020; 53: 201-208https://doi.org/10.1055/a-1151-5017
- The baby boomer effect: changing patterns of substance abuse among adults ages 55 and older.J Aging Soc Policy. 2010; 22: 237-248https://doi.org/10.1080/08959420.2010.485511
- Optimizing sleep in older adults: treating insomnia.Maturitas. 2013; 76: 247-252https://doi.org/10.1016/J.MATURITAS.2013.05.007
- Safety of benzodiazepines in the geriatric population.Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2004; 3: 485-493https://doi.org/10.1517/147403126.96.36.1995
- Benzodiazepine misuse in the elderly: risk factors, consequences, and management.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2016; 18https://doi.org/10.1007/S11920-016-0727-9
- American Geriatrics Society 2015 updated beers criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 2227-2246https://doi.org/10.1111/JGS.13702
- Benzodiazepines: the time for systematic change is now.Addiction. 2021; 116: 219-221https://doi.org/10.1111/ADD.15095
- A feasibility study of conducting the Montreal Cognitive Assessment remotely in individuals with movement disorders.Health Informatics J. 2016; 22: 304-311https://doi.org/10.1177/1460458214556373
- A validation study of the remotely administered Montreal cognitive assessment tool in the elderly Japanese population.Telemed e-Health. 2020; 26: 920-928https://doi.org/10.1089/tmj.2019.0134
- Comparing face-to-face and videoconference completion of the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) in community-based survivors of stroke.J Telemed Telecare. 2021; 27: 484-492https://doi.org/10.1177/1357633X19890788
- Factors associated with the use of dietary supplements and over-the-counter medications in Japanese elderly patients.BMC Fam Pract. 2018; 19: 20https://doi.org/10.1186/s12875-017-0699-9
- Acute phenibut withdrawal: a comprehensive literature review and illustrative case report.Bosn J basic Med Sci. 2019; 19: 125-129https://doi.org/10.17305/bjbms.2018.4008
- Detoxification of a patient with comorbid dependence on phenibut and benzodiazepines by tapering with baclofen: case report.J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2019; 39: 511-514https://doi.org/10.1097/JCP.0000000000001104
- Sedative-hypnotic use among older adults participating in anxiety research.Int J Aging Hum Dev. 2017; 85: 3-17https://doi.org/10.1177/0091415016685330
- Phenibut (4-amino-3-phenyl-butyric acid): availability, prevalence of use, desired effects and acute toxicity.Drug Alcohol Rev. 2016; 35: 591-596https://doi.org/10.1111/dar.12356
- Phenibut addiction in a patient with substance use disorder.Cureus. 2019; 11https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.5230
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 5th. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC2013
- Quantity of phenibut in dietary supplements before and after FDA warnings.Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2022; 60: 486-488https://doi.org/10.1080/15563650.2021.1973020