Strokes increase the risk of cognitive impairment and dementia, and the risk of poststroke cognitive decline does not suside with time.
1Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as fluoxetine, display neuroprotective, and neuroregenerative properties in animal models of brain ischemia,
- Koton S
- Pike JR
- Johansen M
- et al.
Association of ischemic stroke incidence, severity, and recurrence with dementia in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Cohort Study.
JAMA Neurol. 2022; 79: 271-280
2raising hope that their use could lessen the detrimental effects of stroke on cognition.
- Li WL
- Cai HH
- Wang B
- et al.
Chronic fluoxetine treatment improves ischemia-induced spatial cognitive deficits through increasing hippocampal neurogenesis after stroke.
J Neurosci Res. 2009; 87: 112-122
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Association of ischemic stroke incidence, severity, and recurrence with dementia in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Cohort Study.JAMA Neurol. 2022; 79: 271-280
- Chronic fluoxetine treatment improves ischemia-induced spatial cognitive deficits through increasing hippocampal neurogenesis after stroke.J Neurosci Res. 2009; 87: 112-122
- Safety and efficacy of fluoxetine on functional outcome after acute stroke (AFFINITY): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet Neurol. 2020; 19: 651-660
- Utility of TICS-M for the assessment of cognitive function in older adults.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2003; 18: 318-324
- Depression outcomes among patients treated with fluoxetine for stroke recovery: the AFFINITY randomized clinical trial.JAMA Neurol. 2021; 78: 1072-1079
Published online: August 19, 2022
Accepted: August 17, 2022
Received in revised form: August 17, 2022
Received: August 9, 2022
© 2022 American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.