- •What is the primary question addressed by this study?Can we reliably identify older individuals at risk for depression?
- •What is the main finding of this study?Using selected information, the Manto Risk Prediction Models can predict the risk for developing of depression 2 years later with satisfactory accuracy. The streamlined Manto Risk Prediction Model is available for free public use through a web-based risk calculator (https://manto.unife.it/).
- •What is the meaning of the finding?Estimating an individual's risk for developing late-life depression allows to target prevention strategies at an individual and a population-level.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Prevalence of late-life depression and gap in mental health service use across European regions.Eur Psychiatry. 2019; 57: 19-25https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpsy.2018.12.002
- Prevalence of mental disorders in elderly people: The European MentDis-ICF65+ study.Br J Psychiatry. 2017; 210: 125-131https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.115.180463
- Mechanisms and treatment of late-life depression.Transl Psychiatry. 2019; 9https://doi.org/10.1038/s41398-019-0514-6
- Disruption of neural homeostasis as a model of relapse and recurrence in late-life depression.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2019.07.016
- Psychobiological factors of resilience and depression in late life.Transl Psychiatry. 2019; 9https://doi.org/10.1038/s41398-019-0424-7
- Depression in the elderly.Lancet. 2005; 365: 1961-1970https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)66665-2
- Mapping risk factors for depression across the lifespan: an umbrella review of evidence from meta-analyses and Mendelian randomization studies.J Psychiatr Res. 2018; 103: 189-207https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2018.05.020
- Association of microvascular dysfunction with late-life depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Psychiatry. 2017; 74: 729-739https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2017.0984
- Chronic systemic inflammation is associated with symptoms of late-life depression: the ARIC Study.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2020; 28: 87-98https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2019.05.011
- Depression heterogeneity and its biological underpinnings: toward immunometabolic depression.Biol Psychiatry. 2020; 88: 369-380https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsych.2020.01.014
- The inflammation hypothesis in geriatric depression.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2011; 26: 1109-1118https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.2672
- Social disconnection in late life suicide: an NIMH workshop on state of the research in identifying mechanisms, treatment targets, and interventions.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2021.01.137
- Depressive symptom complexes of community-dwelling older adults: a latent network model.Mol Psychiatry. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1038/S41380-021-01310-Y
- A tune in “a minor” can “b major”: a review of epidemiology, illness course, and public health implications of subthreshold depression in older adults.J Affect Disord. 2011; 129: 126-142https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2010.09.015
- The symptom network structure of depressive symptoms in late-life: results from a European population study.Mol Psychiatry. 2018; 1https://doi.org/10.1038/s41380-018-0232-0
- Risk factors for depression among elderly community subjects: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Psychiatry. 2003; 160: 1147-1156https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.160.6.1147
- Risk prediction models in psychiatry: toward a new frontier for the prevention of mental illnesses.J Clin Psychiatry. 2016; (press)https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.15r10003
- Risk prediction model for late life depression: development and validation on three large European datasets.IEEE J Biomed Heal informatics. 2018; PP: 9https://doi.org/10.1109/JBHI.2018.2884079
- Prevention of depressive disorders in older adults: an overview.Psych J. 2015; 4: 3-10https://doi.org/10.1002/pchj.86
- Exercise interventions for the prevention of depression: a systematic review of meta-analyses.BMC Public Health. 2020; 20https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-020-09323-y
- Effectiveness of psychological interventions in preventing recurrence of depressive disorder: meta-analysis and meta-regression.J Affect Disord. 2015; 174: 400-410https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2014.12.016
- Prevention of depression in older age.Maturitas. 2014; 79: 136-141https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2014.03.005
- Individualized prediction of depressive disorder in the elderly: a multitask deep learning approach.Int J Med Inform. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2019.103973
- Prediction of symptomatic depression by discriminant analysis in Japanese community-dwelling elderly.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2011; 52: 177-180https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2010.03.012
- Course of depression and mortality among older primary care patients.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2012; 20: 895-903https://doi.org/10.1097/JGP.0b013e3182331104
- Transparent reporting of a multivariable prediction model for individual prognosis or diagnosis (TRIPOD): the TRIPOD statement.BMJ. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g7594
- Data resource profile: the survey of health, ageing and retirement in Europe (share).Int J Epidemiol. 2013; 42: 992-1001https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyt088
- Development of the EURO-D scale - A European Union initiative to compare symptoms of depression in 14 European centres.Br J Psychiatry. 1999; 174: 330-338https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.174.4.330
- Depression and self-reported disability among older people in Western Europe.J Aging Health. 2012; 24: 1131-1156https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264312453070
- The group lasso for logistic regression.J R Stat Soc Ser B Stat Methodol. 2008; 70: 53-71https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9868.2007.00627.x
- Calibration: the Achilles heel of predictive analytics.BMC Med. 2019; 17https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-019-1466-7
Palumbo P, Cattelani L, Chesani F, et al. Manto online risk calculator for late life depression. Available at: www.manto.unife.it. Published 2021. Accessed September 16, 2021.
- Three myths about risk thresholds for prediction models.BMC Med. 2019; 17: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-019-1425-3
- Cost-effectiveness of guideline-based stepped and collaborative care versus treatment as usual for patients with depression - A cluster-randomized trial.BMC Psychiatry. 2020; 20: 1-14https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-020-02829-0
- Opportunities for cost-effective prevention of late-life depression: an epidemiological approach.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006; 63: 290-296https://doi.org/10.1001/ARCHPSYC.63.3.290
- The relationship between demoralization and depressive symptoms among patients from the general hospital: network and exploratory graph analysis: demoralization and depression symptom network.J Affect Disord. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2020.06.074
- The risk of developing major depression among individuals with subthreshold depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal cohort studies.Psychol Med. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1017/s0033291718000557
- Effectiveness and acceptability of low-intensity psychological interventions on the well-being of older adults: a systematic review.Clin Gerontol. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1080/07317115.2019.1662867
- Network outcome analysis identifies difficulty initiating sleep as a primary target for prevention of depression: a 6-year prospective study.Sleep. 2019; : 1-6https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/zsz288
- Comparing the streamlined psychotherapy “Engage” with problem-solving therapy in late-life major depression. A randomized clinical trial.Mol Psychiatry. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1038/s41380-020-0832-3
- “Engage” therapy Prediction of change of late-life major depression.J Affect Disord. 2017; 221: 192-197https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2017.06.037
- Engagement in socially and interpersonally rewarding activities as a predictor of outcome in “Engage” behavioral activation therapy for late-life depression.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2018.12.033
Task Force on Community Preventive Services. Interventions to Reduce Depression Among Older Adults: Home-Based Depression Care Management. Guide to Community Preventive Services. Published 2007. Available at: https://www.thecommunityguide.org/findings/mental-health-interventions-reduce-depression-among-older-adults-home. Accessed September 16, 2021.
- Implementation of an evidence-based depression care management program (PEARLS): perspectives from staff and former clients.Prev Chronic Dis. 2012; 9 (Available at:) (Accessed September 16, 2021.)
- Healthy IDEAS: implementation of a depression program through community-based case management.Gerontologist. 2008; 48: 828-838https://doi.org/10.1093/GERONT/48.6.828
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Promoting Emotional Health and Preventing Suicide: A Toolkit for Senior Centers. Available at: https://store.samhsa.gov/product/Promoting-Emotional-Health-and-Preventing-Suicide/SMA15-4416. Published 2015. Accessed September 16, 2021.
- How well do older adults recognise mental illness? A literature review.Psychogeriatrics. 2019; 19: 491-504https://doi.org/10.1111/psyg.12427
- Correlates of perceived need for and use of mental health services by older adults in the collaborative psychiatric epidemiology surveys.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2010; 18: 1103-1115https://doi.org/10.1097/JGP.0b013e3181dd1c06
- Cognitive control, reward-related decision making and outcomes of late-life depression treated with an antidepressant.Psychol Med. 2015; 45: 3111-3120https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291715001075
- A rule-based framework for risk assessment in the health domain.Int J Approx Reason. 2020; 119: 242-259https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijar.2019.12.018