Depressive symptoms are reduced by several nutritional components including L-methylfolate, S-adenosylmethionine, L-acetylcarnitine, N-acetylcysteine, and vitamin D.
1Information on the association between vitamin K and depression is limited; two observational studies showed that reduced depressive symptoms are associated with a higher vitamin K intake evaluated by food-frequency questionnaire.
- Hoepner CT
- McIntyre RS
- Papakostas GI
Impact of supplementation and nutritional interventions on pathogenic processes of mood disorders: a review of the evidence.
Nutrients. 2021; 13: 767
- Nguyen TTT
- Tsujiguchi H
- Kambayashi Y
Relationship between vitamin intake and depressive symptoms in elderly Japanese individuals: differences with gender and body mass index.
Nutrients. 2017; 9: 1319
- Bolzetta F
- Veronese N
- Stubbs B
The relationship between dietary vitamin K and depressive symptoms in late adulthood: a cross-sectional analysis from a large cohort study.
Nutrients. 2019; 11: 787
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Impact of supplementation and nutritional interventions on pathogenic processes of mood disorders: a review of the evidence.Nutrients. 2021; 13: 767
- Relationship between vitamin intake and depressive symptoms in elderly Japanese individuals: differences with gender and body mass index.Nutrients. 2017; 9: 1319
- The relationship between dietary vitamin K and depressive symptoms in late adulthood: a cross-sectional analysis from a large cohort study.Nutrients. 2019; 11: 787
- Vitamin K: novel molecular mechanisms of action and its roles in osteoporosis.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2014; 14: 1-7
- Short versions of the geriatric depression scale: a study of their validity for the diagnosis of a major depressive episode according to ICD-10 and DSM-IV.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 1999; 14: 858-865
Published online: May 05, 2022
Accepted: April 21, 2022
Received: April 18, 2022
© 2022 American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.