- •What is the primary question addressed by this study? Are older adults with bipolar disorder more frequently affected by physical health problems than their peers, and does sex affect the frequency of physical health morbidity?
- •What is the main finding of this study? The prevalence of physical health problems is greater in women than men with bipolar disorder, and greater in men with than without bipolar disorder.
- •What is the meaning of the finding? Health services should ensure they address the physical health needs of older adults with bipolar disorder, more noticeably those affecting women.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Risk of dementia and death in community-dwelling older men with bipolar disorder.Br J Psychiatry. 2016; 209: 121-126
- A report on older-age bipolar disorder from the international society for bipolar disorders task force.Bipolar Disord. 2015; 17: 689-704
- Physical health of patients with bipolar disorder.Acta Psychiatr Scand Suppl. 2013; : 3-10
- Impact of a prudent lifestyle on the clinical outcomes of older men with bipolar disorder.Aging Ment Health. 2020; 24: 627-633
- Older men with bipolar disorder diagnosed in early and later life: physical health morbidity and general hospital service use.J Affect Disord. 2018; 241: 269-274
- Physical comorbidity in older-age bipolar disorder (OABD) compared to the general population - a 3-year longitudinal prospective cohort study.J Affect Disord. 2021; 288: 83-91
- The global aging & geriatric experiments in bipolar disorder database (GAGE-BD) project: Understanding older-age bipolar disorder by combining multiple datasets.Bipolar Disord. 2019; 21: 642-649
- Understanding aging in bipolar disorder by integrating archival clinical research datasets.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019; 27: 1122-1134
- Psychiatric and medical comorbidities: results from a bipolar elderly cohort study.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2014; 22: 1066-1074
- Comorbidities and mortality in bipolar disorder: a Swedish national cohort study.JAMA Psychiatry. 2013; 70: 931-939