Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- The impact of epidemic outbreak: the case of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and suicide among older adults in Hong Kong.Crisis. 2010; 31: 86-92
- The impact of epidemic, war, prohibition and media on suicide: United States, 1910-1920.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 1992; 22: 240-254
- The Spanish Flu Pandemic and Mental Health: A Historical Perspective.Media_Production, Cranbury,NJApril 2020https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/coronavirus/spanish-flu-pandemic-and-mental-health-historical-perspectiveDate accessed: May 7, 2020
- The mental health consequences of COVID-19 and physical distancing: the need for prevention and early intervention.JAMA Intern Med. 2020; (Published online April 10,)https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.1562
Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress, Uniformed Services University: Mental Health and Behavioral Guidelines for Response to a Pandemic Flu Outbreak: Background on the Mental Health Impact of Natural Disasters, including Epidemics.Uniformed Services University: Bethesda, MD https://www.cstsonline.org/resources/resource-master-list/mental-health-and-behavioral-guidelines-for-response-to-a-pandemic-flu-outbreak. Accessed May 7, 2020.
- COVID-19, mental health and aging: a need for new knowledge to bridge science and service [published online ahead of print, 2020 Mar 25].Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2020; (S1064-7481(20)30271-2)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2020.03.007
- COVID-19 presents high risk to older persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 681
- Age differences in coping and emotional responses towards SARS: a longitudina; study of Hong Kong Chines.Aging Men Health. 2007; 11: 579-587https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860601086355
- Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on mental health in the general population: a systematic review.J Affect Disord. 2020; 277: 55-64https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2020.08.001
- Older adults and the mental health effects of COVID-19.JAMA. 2020; 324: 2253-2254https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.21753
- Loneliness and mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbaa111
- Experiences of American older adults with pre-existing depression during the beginnings of the COVID-19 pandemic.Am J Geriatr Psychiary. 2020; 28: 924-932https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2020.06.013
- The montreal cognitive assessment, MoCA: a brief screening tool for mildcognitive impairment.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53 (Erratum in: J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019;67(9):1991. PMID: 15817019): 695-699https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532- 5415.2005.53221.x
- Suicide mortality and coronavirus disease 2019-a perfect storm? [published online ahead of print, 2020 Apr 10].JAMA Psychiatry. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2020
- Suicide risk and prevention during the COVID-19 pandemic.Lancet Psychiatry. 2020; 7: 468-471https://doi.org/10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30171
- COVID-19 and the consequences of isolating the elderly.Lancet Public Health. 2020; 5 (Epub 2020 Mar 20. PMID: 32199471; PMCID: PMC7104160): e256https://doi.org/10.1016/S2468-2667(20)30061-X
Kaplan D, Berkman B: Older Adults Living Alone. Geriatrics. Content last Modified May 2019. MDPI: Basel Switzerland. Accessed May 15th 2020. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/geriatrics/social-issues-in-older-adults/older-adults-living-alone
- Loneliness as a public health issue: the impact of loneliness on health care utilization among older adults.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: 1013-1019
- What contributes to perceived stress in later life? A recursive partitioning approach.Psychol Aging. 2011; 26: 830-843
- What are the causes of late-life depression?.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2013; 36: 497-516
- Social disconnectedness, perceived isolation, and symptoms of depression and anxiety among older Americans (NSHAP): a longitudinal mediation analysis.Lancet Public Health. 2020; 5: e62-e70
- Correlates and predictors of loneliness in older-adults: a review of quantitative results informed by qualitative insights.Int Psychogeriatr. 2016; 28: 557-576
- The impact of perceived stress, social support, and home-based physical activity on mental health among older adults.Int J Aging Hum Dev. 2011; 72: 137-154
- Loneliness, health, and mortality in old age: a national longitudinal study.Soc Sci Med. 2012; 74: 907-914
- Battling the modern behavioral epidemic of loneliness: suggestions for research and interventions.JAMA Psychiatry. 2020; (Published online March 04)https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2020.0027
- Addressing Social Isolation to Improve the Health of Older Adults: A Rapid Review.AHRQ, Rockville, MD2019 (doi:10.23970)
- Depression in older adults.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2009; 5: 363-389
- How Many Seniors Live in Poverty?.Kaiser Family Foundation, San Francisco, CA2018 (Published November 19thAccessed May 15th, 2020)
- Financial strain over the life course and health among older adults.J Health Soc Behav. 2006; 47: 17-31
- Financial hardship and mortality among older adults using the 1996-2004 Health and Retirement Study.Ann Epidemiol. 2009; 19: 850-857
- Income, poverty, and material hardship among older americans.RSF. 2015; 1: 55-77https://doi.org/10.7758/RSF.2015.1.1.04
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Employment Situation 2020. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics: Washington, DC. [online] Available at: <https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf>Accessed May 14, 2020.
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Employment Situation 2021. [online] Available at: <https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf>Accessed March 26, 2021.
Purcell PJ: Employment at Older Ages and Social Security Benefit Claiming the United States Social Security Administration Office of Retirement and Disability Policy. Published November 4th, 2018. Accessed June 8th, 2020. https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v76n4/v76n4p1.html
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics. [online] Available at: Labor Force Participation Rate for Workers Age 75 and Older Projected to be Over 10 Percent by 2026. Published: May 29th, 2019. Accessed: June 8th, 2020. https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2019/labor-force-participation-rate-for-workers-age-75-and-older-projected-to-be-over-10-percent-by-2026.htm?view_full
Personal Capital. How Has COVID-19 Impacted our Retirement Plans? Published May 22nd, 2020. An Empower Company: Redwood City, CA. Accessed June 8th, 2020. https://www.personalcapital.com/blog/retirement-planning/covid-19-retirement-plans/.
- The great recession and mental health in the United States.Clin Psychol Sci. 2019; 7: 900-913
- The effect of job loss and unemployment duration on suicide risk in the United States: a new look using mass-layoffs and unemployment duration.Health Econ. 2012; 21: 338-350
- Cause and effect in studies on unemployment, mental health and suicide: a meta-analytic and conceptual review.Psychol Med. 2014; 4: 909-917
- Modelling suicide and unemployment: a longitudinal analysis covering 63 countries, 2000-11.Lancet Psychiatry. 2015; 2: 239-245https://doi.org/10.1016/S2215-0366(14)00118-7
- Systematic review of suicide in economic recession.World J Psychiatry. 2015; 5: 243-254https://doi.org/10.5498/wjp.v5.i2.243
- Social and emotional aging.Annu Rev Psychol. 2010; 61: 383-409
- Unpleasant situations elicit different emotional responses in younger and older adults.Psychol Aging. 2008; 23: 495-504
- Are older people more vulnerable to long-term impacts of disasters?.Clin Interv Aging. 2016; 11: 1791-1795
- Individual, community, and national resiliencies and age: are older people less resilient than younger individuals?.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2016; 24: 644-647
- Mental health implications for older adults after natural disasters–a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int Psychogeriatr. 2016; 28: 11-20
- The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1497.2001.016009606.x
- Mental health, substance use, and suicidal ideation during the COVID-19 pandemic.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69 (doi:10.15585/mmwr): 1049-1057
- Synaptic dysfunction in depression: potential therapeutic targets.Science. 2012; 338: 68-72
- The innate immune receptors TLR2/4 mediate repeated social defeat stress-induced social avoidance through prefrontal microglial activation.Neuron. 2018; 99 (464-479.e7)
- The Interplay between stress, inflammation, and emotional attention: relevance for depression.Front Neurosci. 2019; 13: 384
- The brain on stress: vulnerability and plasticity of the prefrontal cortex over the life course.Neuron. 2013; 79: 16-29
- The relationship between stress and Alzheimer's disease.Neurobiol Stress. 2018; 8: 127-133
- Is dysregulation of the HPA-axis a core pathophysiology mediating co- morbid depression in neurodegenerative diseases?.Front Psychiatry. 2015; 6: 32
- Midlife vs late-life depressive symptoms and risk of dementia: differential effects for Alzheimer disease and vascular dementia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012; 69: 493-498
- The prevalence of comorbid depression in adults with diabetes: a meta-analysis.Diabetes Care. 2001; 24: 1069-1078
- Depression: an important comorbidity with metabolic syndrome in a general population.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 2368-2373
- Unraveling the mechanisms responsible for the comorbidity between metabolic syndrome and mental health disorders.Neuroendocrinology. 2013; 98: 254-266
- The link between depression and diabetes: the search for shared mechanisms.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 3: 461-471
- Depression in patients with heart failure: is enough being done?.Card Fail Rev. 2016; 2: 110-112
- Patients with mental health disorders in the COVID-19 epidemic.Lancet Psychiatry. 2020; 7: e21
- The mental health impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on people with and without depressive, anxiety, or obsessive-compulsive disorders: a longitudinal study of three Dutch case-conrol cohorts.Lancet Psychiatry. 2021; 8: 121-129
- Virtually perfect? Telemedicine for Covid-19.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 1679-1681https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2003539
- Depression screening in medically ill home care elderly.Best Pract Mental Health. 2010; 6: 1-16
- Integrated telehealth care for chronic illness and depression in geriatric home care patients: the integrated telehealth education and activation of mood (I-TEAM) study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014; 62: 889-895https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.12776
- Twenty years of telemedicine in chronic disease management–an evidence synthesis. 2012.J Telemed Telecare. 2012; 18: 211-220https://doi.org/10.1258/jtt.2012.120219
- Telemedicine and telecare for older patients–a systematic review.Maturitas. 2012; 73: 94-114
- Meeting the care needs of older adults isolated at home during the COVID-19 pandemic.JAMA Intern Med. 2020; 180: 819-820https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.1661
Clay RA: COVID-19 Isn't Just a Danger to Older People's Physical Health. American Psychological Association: Washington, DC. Published March 18th, 2020. Accessed July 19th, 2020. https://www.apa.org/news/apa/2020/03/covid-19-danger-physical-health
Inter-Agency Standing Committee Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Reference Group: Briefing Note on Addressing Mental Health and Psychosocial Aspects of COVID-19 Outbreak. Published March 17th, 2020. MHPSS Reference Group: Washington, DC. Accessed July 19th, 2020.https://www.psychiatry.org/File%20Library/Newsroom/MHPSS-COVID19-Briefing-Note-FINAL_26-February-2020-UN.pdf
Larson EB: How Seniors Can Build Resilience During Pandemic. Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute; Seattle, WA. Published May 28th, 2020. Accessed July 19th, 2020
Seritan A: Maintaining Wellness for Older Adults and Caregivers. UCSF Weill Institute for Neurosciences San Francisco, CA. Published April 20th, 2020. Accessed July 19th, 2020. https://psychiatry.ucsf.edu/coronavirus/olderadults.
- Mindfulness training for healthy aging: impact on attention, well-Being, and inflammation.Front Aging Neurosci. 2017; 9: 11
- Mindfulness-based interventions for older adults: a review of the effects on physical and emotional well-being.Mindfulness (NY). 2016; 7: 296-307
- Strategies to promote social connections among olde adults during “social distancing’ restrictions. Accessed July 19th, 2020.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2020.05.004
Rubin CD: 6 Ways to Support Seniors During the COVID-19 Pandemic. UT Southwestern Medical Center: Dallas, TX. Published April 1st, 2020. Accessed July 19th, 2020. https://utswmed.org/medblog/seniors-and-covid-19/.
Arbaje, A: Coronavirus and COVID-19: Caregiving for the Elderly. Johns Hopkins Medicine: Baltimore, MD. Accessed July 19th, 2020. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-caregiving-for-the-elderly.
Vazquez, J: Wellness Project Serves as Lifeline to Senior Adults During COVID-19 Pandemic. UC San Diego News. UC San Diego: San Diego, CA. Published May 21st, 2020. Accessed July 19th, 2020. https://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/feature/wellness-project-serves-as-lifeline-to-seniors-during-covid-19-pandemic.
- Physicians and Other Clinicians: CMS Flexibilities to fight COVID-19. CMS: Washington, DC.April 29th, 2020Accessed July19, 2020)
- Returning to Resilience: The Impact of COVID-19 on Mental Health and Substance Use.McKinsey & Company, New YorkApril 2, 2020 ([online])https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/healthcare-systems-and-services/our-insights/returning-to-resilience-the-impact-of-covid-19-on-behavioral-healthDate accessed: May 4, 2020
- What Congress Has Done for COVID-19 Relief and What Might be Next.National Council on Aging, Washington, DC., April 8th, 2020 (Accessed May 18th, 2020)
Seegert L: Older Americans Act Reauthorization Signed Into Law. Association of Health Care Journalists: Columbia, MO. Published March 31, 2020. Accessed May 18th, 2020.https://healthjournalism.org/blog/2020/03/older-americans-act-reauthorization-signed-into-law/.
Coronavirus relief for seniors and people with disabilities Act. S. 3544, 116th Cong. (2020). Accessed July 19th, 2020. https://www.aging.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Seniors%20and%20PWD%20COVID%2019%20Relief%20Act%20OnePager%202.1.pdf
- Biden signs $1.9 Trillion COVID-19 Relief Bill a Day Earlier Than Expected.Los Angeles Times, March 11, 2021https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2021-03-11/biden-signs-covid-relief-billDate accessed: April 15, 2021
Accompanying podcast is available at: https://www.ajgponline.org/