- •What is the primary question addressed by this study? Do components of social isolation including marital status, percieved social support and interpersonal problems predict change in depression severity over the course of a brief adherence intervention for older adults?
- •What is the main finding of this study? Our analyses showed that being married and reporting greater social support and less interpersonal problems predicted greater treatment benefits over time.
- •What is the meaning of the finding? Social variables may reduce older adults' vulnerability to depression and enhance their ability to benefit from treatment.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Loneliness, social support networks, mood and wellbeing in community-dwelling elderly.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2009; 24: 694-700
- The social connectedness of older adults: a national profile.Am Sociol Rev. 2008; 73: 185-203
- A review of social isolation: an important but underassessed condition in older adults.J Prim Prev. 2012; 33: 137-152
- Loneliness in older persons: a predictor of functional decline and death.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1078-1083
- Social Isolation and Loneliness in Older Adults: Opportunities for the Health Care System.The National Academies Press, 2020
- Loneliness, health, and mortality in old age: a national longitudinal study.Soc Sci Med. 2012; 74: 907-914
- Social isolation, cognitive reserve, and cognition in older people with depression and anxiety.Aging Ment Health. 2019; 23: 1691-1700
National Academies of Sciences Engineering and Medicine. (2020). Social isolation and loneliness in older adults: opportunities for the health care system. Retrieved from Washington, DC.
- Beyond marital status: partner history and well-being in old age.J Marriage Fam. 1997; 59: 687-699
- Social relationships as predictors of depression and suicidal ideation in older adults.Aging Ment Health. 2005; : 517-525
- The effects of church attendance and marital status on the longitudinal trajectories of depressed mood among older adults.J Aging Health. 2009; 21: 803-823
- Predictors of early recovery from major depression among persons admitted to community-based clinics: an observational study.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002; 59: 729-735
- Engagement in socially and interpersonally rewarding activities as a predictor of outcome in “Engage” behavioral activation therapy for late-life depression.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019; 27: 571-578
- Modifiable predictors of nonresponse to psychotherapies for late-life depression with executive dysfunction: a machine learning approach.Mol Psychiatry. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1038/s41380-020-0836-z
- The effect of perceived social support on subjective well-being.Proc Soc Behav Sci. 2010; 2: 3844-3849
- Social disconnectedness, perceived isolation, and health among older adults.J Health Soc Behav. 2009; 50: 31-48
- Social relations and depression in late life - a systematic review.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2014; 29: 1-21
- Loneliness as a specific risk factor for depressive symptoms: cross-sectional and longitudinal analyses.Psychol Aging. 2006; 21: 140-151
- Perceived social isolation makes me sad: 5-year cross-lagged analyses of loneliness and depressive symptomatology in the Chicago Health, Aging, and Social Relations Study.Psychol Aging. 2010; 25: 453-463
- Somebody to lean on: social relationships predict post-treatment depression severity in adults.Psychiatry Res. 2017; 249: 261-267
- Social support and treatment response in older depressed primary care patients.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2001; 56: P35-P45
- Interpersonal processes in depression.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2013; 9: 355-377
- Variation in the recall of socially rewarding information and depressive symptom severity: a prospective cohort study.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2017; 135: 489-498
- Poor health and loneliness in later life: the role of depressive symptoms, social resources, and rural environments.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2013; 49: 311-324
- Personality and differential treatment response in major depression: a randomized controlled trial comparing cognitive-behavioural therapy and pharmacotherapy.Can J Psychiatry. 2008; 53: 361-370
- Interpersonal problems and impacts: further evidence for the role of interpersonal functioning in treatment outcome in major depressive disorder.J Affect Disord. 2013; 150: 393-400
- Therapeutic alliance mediates the association between personality and treatment outcome in patients with major depressive disorder.J Affect Disord. 2016; 201: 137-144
- Adherence to depression treatment in primary care: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Psychiatry. 2017; 74: 1129-1135https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2017.3047
Sirey JS, Woods A, Solomonov N. Treatment adequacy and adherence as predictors of depression response in primary care, Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2020;28(11):1164–1171.
- Abbreviating the Duke Social Support Index for use in chronically ill elderly individuals.Psychosomatics. 1993; 34: 61-69
- Social support and the outcome of major depression.Br J Psychiatry. 1989; 154: 478-485
- Inventory of interpersonal problems: psychometric properties and clinical applications.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1988; 56: 885-892
- Screening for personality disorders in a nonclinical population.J Personal Disord. 1999; 13: 345-360
- A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 198
- A rating scale for depression.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1960; 23: 56-62https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.23.1.56
- Reliability of the Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression: a meta-analysis over a period of 49 years.Psychiatry Res. 2011; 189: 1-9
- The Brief Medication Questionnaire: a tool for screening patient adherence and barriers to adherence.Patient Educ Couns. 1999; 37: 113-124
- Relationships between multiple self-reported nonadherence measures and pharmacy records.Res Social Adm Pharm. 2007; 3 (doi:S1551-7411(06)00118-5 [pii] 10.1016/j.sapharm.2006.11.001): 363-377
- Nontricyclic antidepressants: predictors of nonadherence.J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2006; 26: 643-647https://doi.org/10.1097/01.jcp.0000246217.34024.53
- R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing.2017 (Vienna, Austria)
- Does marriage matter?.Demography. 1995; 32: 483-507
- Reconceptualizing marital status as a continuum of social attachment.J Marriage Fam. 1995; 57: 129-140
- Disability and depressive symptoms in the elderly: the effects of instrumental support and its subjective appraisal.Int J Aging Hum Dev. 1999; 48: 145-159
- Diagnostic rate of comorbid personality disorder in elderly psychiatric inpatients.Am J Psychiatry. 1994; 151: 603-605
- Relationship between affective disorders and Axis II diagnoses in geropsychiatric patients.J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 1995; 8: 61-64
- A preliminary investigation of self-reported personality disorders in late life: prevalence, predictors of depressive severity, and clinical correlates.Aging Ment Health. 2004; 8: 307-315