- •What is the primary question addressed by this study?Do older physicians report the same level of general psychological distress, burnout, alcohol use, and workplace stressors as younger colleagues?
- •What is the main finding of this study?Older physicians reported significantly less psychological distress, burnout and suicidal ideation than younger and middle aged colleagues, but not alcohol use. This group was also the least likely to report all work-related stressors as “very stressful.”
- •What is the meaning of the finding?The overall pattern of results supports an age-related maturation in coping style and greater professional experience, and/or natural selection toward more psychologically resilient physicians over time.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Prevalence of depression and depressive symptoms among resident physicians: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2015; 314: 2373-2383
- Suicide by health professionals: a retrospective mortality study in Australia, 2001–2012.Med J Aust. 2016; 205: 260-265
- Physician don't heal thyself: a descriptive study of impaired older doctors.Int Psychogeriatrics. 2007; 19: 974-984
- Occupational determinants of successful aging in older physicians.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2018; 26: 200-208
- Physician satisfaction and burnout at different career stages.Mayo Clin Proc. 2013; 88: 1358-1367
beyondblue. National Mental Health Survey of Doctors and Medical Students 2013. Available at: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/docs/default-source/research-project-files/bl1132-report—nmhdmss-full-report_web
Available at: beyondblue.org.au/home (Accessed May 18, 2020)
- A short screening scale to monitor population prevalences and trends in nonspecific psychological distress.Psychol Med. 2002; 32: 959-976
- The 10-Item kessler psychological distress scale (K10) as a screening instrument in older individuals.Am J Ger Psychiatry. 2013; 21: 596-606
Maslach C, Jackson SE, Leiter MP. (1996–2016). Maslach Burnout Inventory Manual (Fourth Edition). Menlo Park, CA: Mind Garden, Inc.
- AUDIT: The Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test: Guidelines for use in Primary Care (2nd ed.).World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2001
- Screening for problem drinking in older people referred to a mental health service: a comparison of CAGE and AUDIT.Aging Mental Health. 2003; 7: 171-175
- Sex differences among medical students, house staff, and faculty physicians at high risk for suicide: a HEAR report.Depression Anxiety. 2019; 36: 902-920
- Factors associated with psychiatric morbidity and hazardous alcohol use in Australian doctors.Med J Aust. 2010; 193: 161-166
- Prevalence, comorbidity, disability and service utilisation: overview of the Australian National Mental Health Survey.Br J Psychiatry. 2001; 178: 145-153
- 2007 National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing: methods and key findings.Aust NZ J Psychiatry. 2009; 43: 594-605
- Secrets to psychological success: why older doctors might have lower psychological distress and burnout than younger doctors.Aging Mental Health. 2009; 13: 300-307
- Prevalence of problem drinking among doctors: a review on representative samples.German Med Sci. 2005; 3: 1-5
- Alcohol use and hazardous drinking among medical specialists.Eur Addict Res. 2012; 19: 89-97
- Substance use disorders in an Australian community survey.Drug Alcohol Rev. 2002; 21: 275-280
- Alcohol use and misuse: what are the contributions of occupation and work organization conditions?.BMC Pub Health. 2008; 8: 1-12
- Moderate alcohol consumption and cardiovascular disease: is there evidence for a preventive effect?.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1998; 22: 307S-314S
- Alcohol consumption as a risk factor for dementia and cognitive decline: meta-analysis of prospective studies.Am J Ger Psychiatry. 2009; 17: 542-555
- Systematic review: the relationship between clinical experience and quality of health care.Annals Int Med. 2005; 142: 260-273
Dean J.How much would you pay to become a doctor? Australian Medicine. Available at:https://ama.com.au/ausmed/how-much-would-you-pay-become-doctor (Accessed March 17, 2020)
- Medical Workforce 2012.AIHW Canberra, 2014 (Available at:)
Medical Board of Australia. Summary of discussions from the Medical Board of Australia's workshop on the Professional Performance Framework. Available at:https://www.medicalboard.gov.au/Registration/Professional-Performance-Framework.aspx (Accessed August 24, 2020)