- •Mental Health in Myanmar needs more attention, funding, and research.
- •Older people's mental health in Myanmar is exacerbated by economic and social effects of COVID-19.
- •Local community organizations are the main source of care for older people, yet in urgent need for financial support.
Myanmar: Displacement Camps are COVID-19 Tinderboxes.
MENTAL HEALTH IN MYANMAR
HELPERS IN A CRISIS
BEYOND COVID-19 AND BASIC NEEDS
- (HelpAge International). Tackling perceptions to address mental health in Myanmar. 2020;
- Mental health interventions in Myanmar: a review of the academic and gray literature.Glob Ment Health. 2018; 5: e8
- New WHO prevalence estimates of mental disorders in conflict settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2019; 394: 240-248
- Myanmar: Displacement Camps are COVID-19 Tinderboxes.Bangkok: Human Rights Watch, 2020 (cited 2020 Apr 5. Available from:)
- The Lancet commission on global mental health and sustainable development.Lancet. 2018; 392: 1553-1598
- Geriatric depressive symptoms in Myanmar: incidence and associated factors.J Appl Gerontol. 2019; (Epub 2019 Oct 14)
- The Situation of Older Persons in Myanmar: Results From the 2012 Survey of Older Persons.HelpAge International Myanmar Country Office (Myanmar), Yangon2013 (HelpAge International East Asia / Pacific Regional Office)
- Myanmar Living Conditions Survey 2017 Report 3 - Poverty Report.Central Statistical Organization (Myanmar)Ministry of Planning and Finance, Nay Pyi Taw2019
- ‘Genetic loading’ or ‘evil mind’: current conceptions of depression in Myanmar from the perspective of healthcare professionals.BJPsych Int. 2019; 16: 43-46
- O'Connell S How to Reform NGO Funding so we can Deal With Threats Like COVID-19 [Internet]. World Economic Forum,
Edinburgh2020 (cited 2020 Apr 5. Available from:)https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/how-to-reform-ngo-funding-so-we-can-deal-with-threats-like-covid-19/
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are our own and state no official position of the affiliated institutions.