- •Therapists were positively surprised by the online capabilities and resilience of older patients to adapt to the online treatment program. Prejudices on limited effectiveness of online psychotherapy in older adults were counteracted.
- •COVID-19 related social distancing measures appeared to trigger feelings of rejection in patients with borderline personality traits, while it falsely validated indoor behavior of patients with avoidant personality traits.
- •Patients felt being taken seriously, especially because during the online group sessions they all received detailed comments on their homework (sent by email and discussed online).
- •Where the nonverbal sessions initially felt relaxing and fun, patients told us that these sessions also stimulated their mutual responsiveness (in schema therapy language “facilitated their happy child mode”).
Transformation Into an Online Program
Experiences of Patients
Experiences of Therapists
- Van Vreeswijk MF
- Spinhoven P
- Eurelings-Bontekoe EH
- et al.
Appendix. SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIALS
- Social disconnectedness, perceived isolation, and symptoms of depression and anxiety among older Americans (NSHAP): a longitudinal mediation analysis.Lancet Public Health. 2020; 5: e62-e70
- Is computerized cognitive-behavioural therapy a treatment option for depression in late-life? A systematic review.Br J Clin Psychol. 2012; 51: 459-464
- A naturalistic study of the acceptability and effectiveness of internet-delivered cognitive behavioural therapy for psychiatric disorders in older australians.PloS One. 2013; 8: 1-5
- Videoconferencing psychotherapy and depression: a systematic review.Telemed e-Health. 2019; 25: 435-446
- Effects of schema group therapy in older outpatients: a proof of concept study.Int Psychogeriatr. 2014; 26: 1709-1717
- Reliability and validity of the Short Schema Mode Inventory (SMI).Behav Cogn Psychother. 2010; 38: 437-458
- Young Schema-Questionnaire.in: Young J.E. Cognitive Therapy for Personality Disorders: A Schema-Focused Approach. 2nd ed. Professional Resource Press, Sarasota1994
- Group schema-focused therapy enriched with psychomotor therapy versus treatment as usual for older adults with cluster B and/or C personality disorders: a randomized trial.BMC Psychiatry. 2019; 19: 26
- Changes in symptom severity, schemas and modes in heterogeneous psychiatric patient groups following short-term schema cognitive-behavioural group therapy: a naturalistic pre-treatment and post-treatment design in an outpatient clinic.Clin Psychol Psychother. 2014; 21: 29-38
- On behalf of the E-COMPARED consortium: attitudes towards digital treatment for depression: a European stakeholder survey.Internet Interv. 2017; 8: 1-9
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy