Mindfulness-based interventions, which encourage focused awareness on the present moment, have widespread, effective applications in geriatric psychiatry.
1Creative self-expression through art is also used to reduce distressing psychological symptoms, improve mood and increase one's ability to identify and verbalize emotions. Using art in psychotherapy revitalizes cognitive reserves in older adults, externalizes emotions, and promotes the pursuit of meaningful activity after retirement.
- Geiger PJ
- Boggero IA
- Brake CA
- et al.
Mindfulness-based interventions for older adults: a review of the effects on physical and emotional well-being.
Mindfulness. 2016; 7: 296-307
2When combined, they have the potential to produce compelling therapeutic benefits. Although it is not novel to study the two in tandem,
- Ciasca EC
- Ferriera RC
- Santana CLA
- et al.
Art therapy as an adjuvant treatment for depression in elderly women: a randomized controlled trial.
Braz J Psychiatry. 2018; 40
- Kalmanowitz DL
- Ho RTH
Art therapy and mindfulness with survivors of political violence: a qualitative study.
Psychol Trauma. 2016; 9: 107-113
4there is a lack of research on the application of this combination in older adults. Moreover, devices such as tablets may simplify the process of combining diverse therapeutic modalities and have been shown to be safe and effective in older adults.
- Jang SH
- Kang SY
- Lee HJ
- et al.
Beneficial effect of mindfulness-based art therapy in patients with breast cancer: a randomized controlled trial.
Explore. 2016; 12: 333-340
- Vahia IV
- Kamat R
- Vang C
- et al.
Use of tablet devices in the management of agitation among inpatients with dementia: an open-label study.
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2017; 25: 860-864
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mindfulness-based interventions for older adults: a review of the effects on physical and emotional well-being.Mindfulness. 2016; 7: 296-307
- Art therapy as an adjuvant treatment for depression in elderly women: a randomized controlled trial.Braz J Psychiatry. 2018; 40
- Art therapy and mindfulness with survivors of political violence: a qualitative study.Psychol Trauma. 2016; 9: 107-113
- Beneficial effect of mindfulness-based art therapy in patients with breast cancer: a randomized controlled trial.Explore. 2016; 12: 333-340
- Use of tablet devices in the management of agitation among inpatients with dementia: an open-label study.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2017; 25: 860-864
Published online: October 09, 2019
Accepted: October 2, 2019
Received: October 1, 2019
© 2019 American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.