- •Little is known about the occurrence of clinically diagnosed psychiatric disorders and suicidal behavior (mental health disorders) across major dementia subtypes.
- •Occurrence of mental health disorders is high (25%) and differs significantly among five dementia subtypes, with the highest occurrence in frontotemporal dementia, followed by vascular, Lewy body, and mixed dementias (30%–45%). Occurrence of mood, anxiety, and substance use disorders (>18%), as well as suicidal ideation and plan/attempt (0.4%), was highest in frontotemporal dementia and lowest in Alzheimer disease, respectively (<7%, <0.1%).
- •Findings highlight the need for monitoring mental health disorders and developing targeted treatment to reduce psychological burden in different dementia subtypes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- 2017 Alzheimer's disease facts and figures.Alzheimers Dement. 2017; 13: 325-373
- Prevalence of neuropsychiatric symptoms in dementia and mild cognitive impairment: results from the cardiovascular health study.JAMA. 2002; 288: 1475-1483
- Mental and behavioral disturbances in dementia: findings from the Cache County Study on Memory in Aging.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 708-714
- Major and minor depression in Alzheimer's disease: prevalence and impact.J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 1997; 9: 556-561
- Risk factors for suicide in later life.Biol Psychiatry. 2002; 52: 193-204
- Predictors of mental health services use across the life course among racially-ethnically diverse adults.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2017; 25: 1213-1222
- Dementia and suicidal behavior: a review of the literature.Int Psychogeriatr. 2009; 21: 440-453
- A comparison of psychiatric symptoms in vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease.Am J Psychiatry. 1993; 150: 1806-1812
- Alzheimer disease and frontotemporal dementias: behavioral distinctions.Arch Neurol. 1996; 53: 687-690
- Neuropsychiatric aspects of multi-infarct dementia and dementia of the Alzheimer type.Arch Neurol. 1987; 44: 389-393
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. 172VA10P2: VHA Corporate Data Warehouse–VA. 79 FR 4377. (online). Available at: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2014/01/27/2014-01497/privacy-act-of-1974. Accessed October 7, 2018
VA Information Resource Center. VIReC Resource Guide: VistA. Hines, IL: U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs, Health Services Research and Development Service, VA Information Resource Center, Jun. 2012.
- Insights from advanced analytics at the Veterans Health Administration.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 1203-1211
Kemp J, Bossarte RM: Suicide Data Report, 2012. (online). Available at: https://www.va.gov/opa/docs/Suicide-Data-Report-2012-final.pdf. Accessed October 7, 2018
Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Mental Health and Suicide Prevention: Suicide Among Veterans and Other Americans, 2001–2014. (online). Available at: https://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/docs/2016suicidedatareport.pdf. Accessed October 7, 2018
- VA Suicide Prevention Applications Network: a national health care system–based suicide event tracking system.Public Health Rep. 2016; 131: 816-821
World Health Organization. International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM). Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1992.
- Behavioral and psychologic symptoms in different types of dementia.J Formos Med Assoc. 2006; 105: 556-562
- Behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia.Front Neurol. 2012; 3: 73
- Psychopathology at initial diagnosis in dementia with Lewy bodies versus Alzheimer disease: comparison of matched groups with autopsy‐confirmed diagnoses.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2000; 15: 819-823
- Suicidal ideation and the ‘wish to die’ in dementia patients: the role of depression.Age Ageing. 1998; 27: 503-507
- Suicidal ideation and behavior assessment in dementia studies: an internet survey.Alzheimers Dement (N Y). 2016; 2: 60-68
- “Life is not worth living”: hopelessness in Alzheimer's disease.J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2002; 15: 38-43
- Clinical and pathological diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia: report of the work group on frontotemporal dementia and Pick's disease.Arch Neurol. 2001; 58: 1803-1809
- ‘Vascular depression’ hypothesis.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1997; 54: 915-922
- Anosognosia in Alzheimer's disease: relationships to depression, cognitive function, and cerebral perfusion.J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 1993; 15: 231-244
- Anosognosia in Alzheimer's disease: a study of associated factors.J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 1995; 7: 338-344
- Deliberate self-harm in the elderly.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 1987; 2: 105-110
- Dysthymia and depression increase risk of dementia and mortality among older veterans.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2012; 20: 664-672
- Depression and risk of developing dementia.Nature Rev Neurol. 2011; 7: 323-331
- Posttraumatic stress disorder and risk of dementia among US veterans.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 608-613
- Anxiety is associated with increased risk of dementia in older Swedish twins.Alzheimers Dement. 2016; 12: 399-406
- The persistence of neuropsychiatric symptoms in dementia: the Cache County Study.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2004; 19: 19-26
- Behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia in relation to level of cognitive impairment.Int Psychogeriatr. 2008; 20: 777-789
- The course of neuropsychiatric symptoms in dementia. Part II: relationships among behavioural sub-syndromes and the influence of clinical variables.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2005; 20: 531-536
- Psychiatric symptoms and nursing home placement of patients with Alzheimer's disease.Am J Psychiatry. 1990; 147: 1049-1051
- High occurrence of mood and anxiety disorders among older adults: the National Comorbidity Survey Replication.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 489-496
- Sex differences and the epidemiology of depression.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1977; 34: 98-111
- Suicide and suicidal behavior.Epidemiol Rev. 2008; 30: 133-154
- Effects of age, sex, and ethnicity on the association between apolipoprotein E genotype and Alzheimer's disease: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 1997; 278: 1349-1356