To investigate the feasibility of an age-adapted, manualized behavioral treatment for geriatric hoarding.
Participants were 11 older adults (mean age: 66 years) with hoarding disorder. Treatment encompassed 24 individual sessions of psychotherapy that included both cognitive rehabilitation targeting executive functioning and exposure to discarding/not acquiring. Hoarding severity was assessed at baseline, mid-treatment, and posttreatment.
Results demonstrated clinically and statistically significant changes in hoarding severity at posttreatment. No participants dropped out of treatment. Eight participants were classified as treatment responders, and three as partial responders. Partial responders reported severe/extreme hoarding and psychiatric comorbidities at baseline.
The combination of cognitive rehabilitation and exposure therapy is a promising approach in the treatment of geriatric hoarding. Targeting neurocognitive deficits in behavioral therapy for these geriatric patients with hoarding disorder doubled response rates relative to our previous trial of cognitive behavior therapy alone.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Characteristics of hoarding in older adults.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2013; 21: 1043-1047
- Hoarding disorder: a new diagnosis for DSM-V?.Depress Anxiety. 2010; 27: 556-572
- Prevalence and correlates of hoarding behavior in a community-based sample.Behav Res Ther. 2008; 46: 836-844
- Obsessive-compulsive symptom dimensions in the general population: results from an epidemiological study in six European countries.J Affect Disorders. 2010; 124: 291-299
- The prevalence of compulsive hoarding and its association with compulsive buying in a German population-based sample.Behav Res Ther. 2009; 47: 705-709
- The epidemiology of the proposed DSM-5 hoarding disorder: exploration of the acquisition specifier, associated features, and distress.J Clin Psychiatry. 2011; 72: 780-786
- Age at onset and clinical features of late life compulsive hoarding.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2010; 25: 142-149
- Course of compulsive hoarding and its relationship to life events.Depress Anxiety. 2010; 27: 829-838
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy for geriatric compulsive hoarding.Behav Res Ther. 2011; 49: 689-694
- Therapist and patient perspectives on cognitive-behavioral therapy for older adults with hoarding disorder: a collective case study.Aging Ment Health. 2012; 61: 915-921
- Treating elders with compulsive hoarding: a pilot program.Cogn Behav Pract. 2010; 17: 449-457
- Executive functioning in older adults with hoarding disorder.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2013 Feb 26; ([E-pub ahead of print])
- Categorization and cognitive deficits in compulsive hoarding.Behav Res Ther. 2010; 48: 866-872
- Cognitive functioning in individuals with severe compulsive hoarding behaviors and late life depression.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2011; 26: 314-321
- An investigation of executive functioning, attention and working memory in compulsive hoarding.Behav Cogn Psychother. 2012; : 1-16
- Does executive dysfunction affect treatment outcome in late-life mood and anxiety disorders?.J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2005; 18: 97-108
- Paroxetine treatment of compulsive hoarding.J Psychiatry Res. 2007; 41: 481-487
- Measurement of compulsive hoarding: saving inventory-revised.Behav Res Ther. 2004; 42: 1163-1182
- The Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA): a brief screening tool for mild cognitive impairment.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 695-699
- A brief interview for assessing compulsive hoarding: the Hoarding Rating Scale-Interview.Psychiatry Res. 2010; 178: 147-152
- The Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview (M.I.N.I): the development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV and ICD-10.J Clin Psychiatry. 1998; 59: 22-33
- Development and validation of the clutter image rating.J Psychopathol Behav Assess. 2008; 30: 193-203
- Assessment Manual for Psychopharmacology.US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC1976
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370
- Refining clinical judgment of treatment outcome in obsessive-compulsive disorder.Psychiatry Res. 2010; 185: 394-401
- Compensatory cognitive training for psychosis: effects in a randomized controlled trial.J Clin Psychiatry. 2012; 73: 1212-1219
- Compulsive Hoarding and Acquiring: Therapist Guide.Oxford University Press, New York2007
Published online: July 08, 2013
Accepted: February 15, 2013
Received in revised form: February 4, 2013
Received: November 22, 2012
Published by Elsevier Inc.