Psychiatry is the specialty that prides itself on basing best practices on a biopsychosocial model. Although geriatric psychiatrists are one of the strongest advocates of such practices for patients in late life and their families, many have been relatively slow in their participation in the detection, recognition and interventions, and teaching and research in elder maltreatment, compared with professionals in nursing and social work. The fact that women age 75 and over are the most vulnerable and largest category of those victimized in these ways can partially explain this earlier concern of nonmedical professional women for victimized elderly patients. An instrument to assess elder maltreatment (including financial exploitation) has been available for the last 13 years.
1This tool is well worthy of wide distribution by physicians in general and psychiatrists in emergency rooms, inpatient units, outpatient clinics, consultation/liaison services, nursing facilities, and home health care settings.
- Fulmer T
- Welte T
Elder abuse screening and intervention.
Nurse Pract. 1986; 11: 36-37
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Elder abuse screening and intervention.Nurse Pract. 1986; 11: 36-37
- Elder neglect, abuse, and exploitation.in: Dickstein LJ Nadelson CC Family Violence: Emerging Issues of a National Crisis. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC1989: 101-124
- Abuse of the elderly.in: Romaine-Davis A Boondas J Lenhan A Encyclopedia of Home Care for the Elderly. Greenwood Press, Westport, CT1995: 207
- Elder maltreatment.in: Kaplan SJ Family Violence: A Clinical and Legal Guide. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC1996: 181-208
- Elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation.in: Kaplan HI Sadock BJ Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry. 7th Edition. Lippincott-Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore MD2000 (in press)
© 2000 American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.