Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Leisure activities and the risk of dementia in the elderly.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 2508-2516
- Effects of a 14-day healthy longevity lifestyle program on cognition and brain function.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2006; 14: 538-545
- Internet penetration and impact. Pew Internet & American Life Project.
- Are “wired seniors” sitting ducks? Pew Internet & American Life Project.
- Search engine use. Pew Internet & American Life Project.
- Current and future uses of neuroimaging for cognitively impaired patients.Lancet Neurol. 2008; 7: 161-172
- Processing speed, inhibitory control, and working memory: three important factors to account for age-related cognitive decline.Int J Aging Hum Dev. 2008; 66: 115-130
- The impact of video games on training surgeons in the 21st Century.Arch Surg. 2007; 142: 181-186
- Action-video-game experience alters the spatial resolution of vision.Psychol Sci. 2007; 18: 88-94
- iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind. HarperCollins, NY2008
- Toward brain correlates of natural behavior: fMRI during violent video games.Hum Brain Mapp. 2006; 27: 948-956
- Sustained decrease in oxygenated hemoglobin during video games in the dorsal prefrontal cortex: a NIRS study of children.Neuro Image. 2006; 29: 707-711
- Prefrontal cerebral blood volume patterns while playing video—a near-infrared spectroscopy study.Brain Dev. 2006; 28: 315-321
- Patterns of brain activation in people at risk for Alzheimer's disease.N Engl J Med. 2000; 343: 450-456
- Localization of brain function using magnetic resonance imaging.Trends Neurosci. 1994; 17: 268-277
- Embedded assessment algorithms within home-based cognitive computer game exercises for elders.Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006; 1: 6101-6104
- Computerized progressive attentional training (CPAT) program: effective direct intervention for children with ADHD.Child Neuropsychol. 2007; 13: 382-388
- Memory enhancement in healthy older adults using a brain plasticity-based training program: a randomized, controlled study.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2006; 103: 12523-12528
- Regional glucose metabolic changes after learning a complex visuospatial/motor task: a positron emission tomographic study.Brain Res. 1992; 570: 134-143
- Advances in functional and structural MR image analysis and implementation as FSL.Neuroimage. 2004; 23: S208-S219
- Improved optimization for the robust and accurate linear registration and motion correction of brain images.Neuroimage. 2002; 17: 825-841
- Probabilistic independent component analysis for functional magnetic resonance imaging.IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2004; 23: 137-152
- General multilevel linear modeling for group analysis in FMRI.Neuroimage. 2003; 20: 1052-1063
- Temporal autocorrelation in univariate linear modeling of FMRI data.Neuroimage. 2001; 14: 1370-1386
- Statistical analysis of activation images.in: Jezzard P Matthews PM Smith SM Functional MRI: An Introduction to Methods. Oxford University Press, Oxford2003
- Co-planar stereotaxic atlas of the human brain. Thieme Medical, New York1988
- Gender differences in the mesocorticolimbic system during computer game-play.J Psychiatr Res. 2008; 42: 253-258
- Pictures of a thousand words: investigating the neural mechanisms of reading with extremely rapid event-related fMRI.Neuroimage. 2008; 42: 973-987
- Neural substrates of narrative comprehension and memory.Neuroimage. 2008; 41: 1408-1425
- Choice, uncertainty and value in prefrontal and cingulate cortex.Nat Neurosci. 2008; 11: 389-397
- Determining a role for ventromedial prefrontal cortex in encoding action-based value signals during reward-related decision making.Cereb Cortex. 2008 June 11; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Mental exercise and mental aging: evaluating the validity of the “use it or lose it” hypothesis.Perspect Psychol Sci. 2006; 1: 68-87
- Attentional modulation of neural processing of shape, color, and velocity in humans.Science. 1990; 248: 1556-1559
- Addiction to the Internet and online gaming.Cyberpsychol Behav. 2005; 8: 110-113
- A cross-sectional analysis of video games and attention deficit hyperactivity disorders symptoms in adolescents.Ann Gen Psychiatry. 2006; 5: 16
- Children, adolescents, and television.Pediatrics. 2001; 107: 423-426
For generous support, the authors thank the Brain Mapping Medical Research Organization, the Pierson-Lovelace Foundation, the Ahmanson Foundation, the Tamkin Foundation, and the Parvin Foundation. The authors thank Elizabeth Pierce for assistance with fMRI scanning, and Arian Nasiri for assistance with data analysis.
Dr. Small reports having served as a consultant and/or having received lecture fees from Abbott, Brainstorming Co., Dakim, Eisai, Forest, Myriad Genetics, Novartis, Ortho-McNeil, Pfizer, Radica, and Siemens. Dr. Small also reports having received stock options from Dakim. Drs. Moody, Siddarth, and Bookheimer have no financial conflicts of interest.
Drs. Small and Moody contributed equally to this work.